Alternatively titled: I didn’t write anything over the weekend, so have a copy of my lunch for the next few days.
I’m pretending you don’t know how to cook, so work with me here.
What you will need:
- 3-5 large-ish yellow squash
- 1 onion
- 2 packages of shredded mild cheddar cheese (~4 cups if you want to shred your own, cause you have a dairy farm for that reason.)
- Large pan (fit for baking)
- Steamer basket
- Italian Bread crumbs
- A sharp knife
How it goes:
- Clean squash by running hot water over them
- Cut all the squash into even-ish pieces, removing the ends from both…ends; I cut round pieces, you can cut however you want. (I don’t judge.)
- Place all squashy bits in the steamer basket.
- Remove flaky bits off the onion and toss em away.
- CUT THE ENDS OFF THE ONION FROM UNDER RUNNING WATER, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. THIS WILL PREVENT YOU FROM CRYING, I’M SAVING YOU FROM THE PAIN.
- DON’T TURN THE WATER OFF, YOU’RE NOT DONE.
- Slice the onion in half UNDER THE WATER.
- Now you can turn the water off.
- Slice your onion halves into tinier bits and place them in the steamer basket.
- Note: if not all of the squash or onions fit into the basket, you can steam a second batch separately.
- Steam the veggies until you can see the steam escaping from underneath the lid.
- If you needed to steam a second batch, this would be the time to steam it now.
- Pre-heat oven to 350. We probably should have done that first, but fuck the rules.
- Dump the steamed squashy bits and tiny onion slices into your large pan.
- Season with salt and pepper (to taste)
- Add package of cheese, mix generously.
- If you needed to steam a second batch, add only half the package. Add the other half when the veggies are done and mix again
- Mix in some of the bread crumbs while you’re at it. (~1/4 of a cup? I dunno, I eyeballed it.) The squash should look beaten all to hell at this point, which is a good thing.
- Once throughly mixed, open the second package of cheese and add all of it on top.
- I SAID ALL OF IT. DON’T YOU SKIMP OUT ON ANYTHING.
- All added? Are you sure? Maybe you should check…
- Okay, it’s all been added.
- BREAD CRUMB LAYER TIME.
- Once the oven indicates that it’s ready, BAKE IT. About 20 minutes should do it, or until the top is a golden brown color. Unless it’s my oven, in which case it’ll NEVER be ready.
- EAT IT. (after it’s cool, of course.)
Om nom nom nom, it’s very delicious, I promise. You can use Vegan cheese in place of actual cheese, but vegan cheese does not like to melt properly, or at least the one time I tried it didn’t.
Enjoy, you crazy kids.